Category D is bus driver's licence for carrying passengers in motorised vehicles comprising more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat, with the coupling of a towing vehicle in this category to a trailer having a maximum mass not exceeding 750 kg. Category D training can be started from the age of 22, but driver's licence can be obtained from the age of 24. Apply for Category D training at the driving school "Einšteins" and use your opportunity to obtain bus driver's licence in Riga or Valmiera.
Category D drivers' training
Category D trainings gives the opportunity to learn the rules of passenger transport and to acquire professional skills in passenger transport. Category D or bus driver's licence will open up a wide range of career opportunities not only in Latvia, but also abroad. Driving school "Einšteins" currently offers the opportunity to obtain a Category D driver's licence in Riga and in Valmiera. During the theoretical training of 3 weeks, the students will have to attend lectures in person at one of the branches of the driving school "Einšteins". The minimum determined length of practical training is 12 lessons (each 45 minutes), however, the total number of driving lessons required will be determined by your practical skills and abilities. In addition, driving school "Einšteins" also gives the opportunity to obtain Category D1 and DE driver's licences. Keep in mind – in order to be able to carry out commercial transportation of passengers, the future bus driver will be required to obtain professional category Code No. 95 after obtaining their Category D driver's licence.
Theoretical training for licence Category D
- Prior to starting the training for licence Category D at the driving school, you will be registered in the training group and in the database held by Road Traffic Safety Directorate (CSDD).
- Theoretical training course for licence Category D takes a total of 6 lectures (30 academic lessons) as per a pre-determined schedule.
- We organise the training courses for first medical aid. During the training, our students are prepared for the respective theoretical exam at CSDD. Upon completion of the course, a certificate will be issued that will be valid for 5 years. In the event you already hold such a certificate, repeated attendance of the training will not be required.
- At the end of Category D theoretical course students are required to take the driving school theoretical exam.
- After the Category D theoretical exam at the driving school has successfully been passed, the person shall be required to take theoretical exam at the CSDD.
Practical training (driving) for Licence category D
- Prior to embarking on the practical (driving) training of Category D, the student is in this case not required to visit CSDD in order to receive the training driver's licence (so-called "white" driver's licence). Any previously obtained category licence will serve as a permit to start driving instruction (practical lessons).
- The number of Category D driving lessons will depend on the student's level of practical skills, but not less than 12 lessons (each 45 minutes).
- The training course and schedule of Category D driving lessons is planned online on the electronic student platform of the driving school "Einšteins".
- Once the level of practical knowledge is sufficient, you will be assigned to the Category D exam at the CSDD.
Frequently asked questions – category D
Category D driver's licence gives the right to drive a bus or coach with the ability to drive vehicles with more than 8 seats. A Category C licence also permits to drive a towing vehicle of this category with a trailer having a maximum permitted mass not exceeding 750 kg.
Driving school "Einšteins" does offer Category D training in order to obtain bus driver's licence. Currently, Category D theory training is offered in the Riga and Valmiera branches of the driving school.
Yes, there is an age limit for obtaining Category D driver's licence – the CSDD exam can be taken and the bus driver's licence can be obtained from the age of 24. Also, in order to carry out commercial passenger transport, the bus driver must obtain a Code No. 95 certificate.
The costs of obtaining Category D licence include both payments to the driving school for theoretical and practical training and other additional expenses, such as CSDD fees and medical commission (if necessary). If you want to know the exact costs, use our Category D price calculator!
Indeed – a Category D driver's licence obtained in Latvia is valid for passenger transport throughout the entire European Union. However, for commercial transport in the European Union, a bus driver must obtain a Code No. 95 certificate.
Negative – Category D driver's licence can only be obtained once the applicant already holds a valid driver's licence of Category C1, C or D1.
Yes, a Code No. 95 certificate is required to carry out passenger transport.
When the Category D training is taken within one year from passing the Category D1 examination, theoretical exams at the driving school and the CSDD are not require.